And if lists are helpful to you, here is our own list of signs of readiness for first grade. Failure on a few of our items does not necessarily indicate unreadiness for first grade. But a significant number of “No” answers should most certainly make you question.
- Does your child’s kindergarten teacher recommend that he/she go on to first grade?
- Will he/she be fully six or preferably older before the September date when school begins?
- Does he/she seem to you as mature as other children his/her same age?
- Has the ordinary “good” behavior of the typical five broken up a bit and does your child show some signs of being or becoming a rebellious, argumentative six?
- Can he/she copy a circle counterclockwise, starting at the top?
- Can he/she copy a triangle?
Is your child experiencing difficulty?
- Holding a pencil
- Using scissors to cut
- Dressing himself
- Separating from you
- Sitting for more than five minutes
- Sharing with others